Sat, December 7, 2013 • Cloudy, and 36 ° F.
Gate City is the seat of Scott County's government and serves as the principal gateway into Virginia from east Tennessee and the city of Kingsport. The town is named after a gap in the Clinch Mountain, a "gate" through which both pioneers and Native Americans passed, which is now commemorated with a unique driving tour.
With a population of 2,159, Gate City offers a quiet location with several vintage and antique stores, department stores, hardware stores, supermarkets, restaurants, a park with little league baseball facilities, an elementary, middle and high school, a library, and much more. Read more about Gate City's attractions on the town's official website.
The town is a great place to stay or break your journey before putting your kayak in the world-famous Clinch River or sticking around to listen to old-time music at the annual Clinch Mountain Music Festival.
Support local farmers while enjoying your Saturday morning at Gate City Farmers Market!
Gasthaus Edelweiss is an authentic German restaurant in Weber City.
The Fincastle Turnpike was one of the routes settlers used to reach the Daniel Boone Wilderness Trail as they traveled west across the mountains. Today, a driving tour follows this route to many of Scott County's most historic spots.
Along the Wilderness Trail, north of Big Moccasin Gap, near what is now Gate City, Va., stood a welcome way-station for weary travelers.
The Anderson Blockhouse was built in the late 1700s to protect European settlers from Indian attacks. A replica can be seen at Natural Tunnel State Park.
This guided driving trail through Tennessee, Virginia, and Kentucky is one of the nation's most historic routes.
Scott County is home to a variety of great events for the whole family. Here are some events that are happening in the near future. Read More
Points Of Interest
Browse from the list below.
- Join period re-enactors as they describe what life was like during 1774.
- Creation Kingdom Zoo is home to many rare and endangered species of animals from around the globe...
- Playground, Picnic Shelters, Walking Trail, Baseball and Softball Fields
- The Homeplace brings to life the chores and challenges of surviving rugged mountain living with q...
- Arts & Crafts displayed inside
- Game Room with Ping Pong and Foosball, Tetherball; 9 hole golf course, 6 picnic shelters, horsesh...
- Walking trails, tennis courts, picnic shelters, meeting room available for rental, tennis clinics...
Browse from the list below. Scott County proudly supports all of our local and surrounding businesses.
- Banking services and products
- Buy and sell batteries of all types
- Historic 19th century log cabins with 21st century amenities located near music, shopping and rec...
- 1)Small Animal medicine & Surgery
- Meals prepared to order, eat in or take out
- Hand crafted Woodturnings from my own salvaged wood that I harvest myself. I make a variety of p...
- Creation Kingdom Zoo believes in conservation efforts to ensure certain animals will be available...
- Specializing in Mexican Foods
- Guest rooms with private baths and other amenities with full breakfast served.
- Grass fed beef-by the whole, side or by the package-usually in 1# packages unless roasts.
- Good Food, prepared fresh to order, burgers, fries, sandwiches, soft drinks, sundaes, milk shakes
- Antiques, Gifts, Crafts, Home Decor, Childrens Clothing
The Antique Showroom plays host to over ...
- Heavy Duty & Diesel Repair
- Variety of preowned merchandise. Everything from clothing, small and large appliances, furniture,...
- flowers for all occassions, balloons and gifts, personal attention
- full line of taxidermy services
- Over 20 vendors providing everything from antique furnishings, glassware, candles, and collectibles.
- Hunting and Fishing Supplies, Gas and food
- Lube, oil and filter, brakes, auto maintenance
- 24 hour Volunteer Ambulance Service & Rescue Squad
- Small and large animal medicine and surgery. Dental care, preventative medicine, flea/tick medici...
- Family Entertainment, Live Country Music, Dance Floor, Full Restaurant Concessions, Pool Tables. ...
- Life is Short...Eat Desert First. Fresh Baked deserts and custom bakery products. Coming this f...
- A variety of goat cheeses. We also raise a variety of livestock, and sometimes have some for sale...